Tuesday, February 2, 2010

The Story of the Rolls...

Well, it is time to confess my mishap with the rolls at Thanksgiving! I wish I had taken a picture! Well, being that I am lazy I bought Rhodes bake and serve rolls. That morning I got the rolls out of the freezer and told everyone "DON'T TURN ON THE OVEN" my rolls are rising the quick method. The quick method is to turn the oven on 200 degrees and then turn the oven off. Then you place a bowl of water in the bottom of the oven and put the rolls onto a cookie sheet and spray them with cooking spray and then spray the plastic wrap with cooking spray and then put them in the oven for an hour or so and they will thaw and rise. You then take them out and preheat the oven and put them back in to cook (of course removing the plastic wrap first).
Well, everything was going well until I started making Amanda's delicious pretzel salad. First you make a crust out of pretzels, butter and brown sugar and bake it for a short time in the oven and then let it cool and finish with strawberries and jello (or something like that). So I turn on the oven to 350 or so and forget that my rolls are rising. When I thought the oven was pre-heated I opened the oven to put in the pretzel crust to find my 3 pans of rolls. The middle pan of rolls were cooked completely and the other two we well raised and I should have just gone ahead and cooked them then but OH NO I take them out of the oven and take the plastic wrap off and the pan that was cooked were fabulous. In fact we ate them all right then. The other two pans were quite another story! As I took the plastic wrap off they fell. So the rolls we had with Thanksgiving Dinner were flat but the ones we ate fresh out of the over were wonderful and the plastic did not stick to them at all.
NOTE TO SELF: When defrosting and rising rolls in oven PUT A BIG GIANT NOTE TO SELF... DO NOT TURN ON OVEN UNTIL THE ROLLS ARE DONE!!! So that is why I am going to have my brain checked so I can know if I am just DUH or if my brain is turning to mush!!!

1 comments:

Michelle said...

hahaha. That is so funny!! Marissa used to "pretend cook" when she was little - and had put a bunch of plastic bowls and cups in the oven one day. Lo and behold - when I pre-heated my oven and my house started smelling super weird -- I had a mess on my hands (no yummy rolls!) :)